Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Origins of the property

I am keeping this posting as a placeholder, for when I can find enough material to piece together the early history of the property.

The property once belonged to someone called Kho Leng Guan. I think he was a contractor. He used to own a huge area in that location, which he sub-divided and sold over the years. My grandparents bought the land in the early 1950s and built the original wooden house there. I am still looking for photos of that house.

My earliest recollection of the property was in the early 1960s when I was a child and stayed there for  some time. It was the home of my grandparents. My grandfather was Ignatius YONG Yaw Tong an my grandmother Teresa LIM Nyuk Kwee.

At that time, the lane on which the house was located was a gravelly single-lane affair. When two cars came from opposite directions on this lane, one had to go right to the edge of the lane (sometimes risking going into the "longkang" or drain) in order that the other vehicle might squeeze by.

The address back then was 48 Palm Road. It seems that there is no more Palm Road, as it has been renamed to the difficult-to-remember Jalan Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce. In addition to that, the lane itself was first changed to Jalan Medan Temple (Temple Square Road ... even though there is no temple anywhere near), and currently the signpost on the lane says Lorong Pisang 2C.

No comments:

Post a Comment